Friday, August 20, 2010

Sugar Mama

Hello, my name is Leann and I'm a sugar addict. I haven't always been this way, but marrying a sweet-tooth will do that to you. Growing up, my family hardly ever had dessert. Sure, my mom baked cakes or cookies on weekends but we never had "nightly" dessert like my husband's family. Well, they don't always have it nightly, but there's always something sweet like Oreos or pie or pound cake or ice cream. So, we always have sugary snacks at my house, else Husband's head explode. This got worse when I was pregnant and wanted ice cream or Reese's cups after every meal.

It's time to detox.

I think I've mentioned before, but the only time I've ever lost weight is when I've drastically cut my sugar intake. The initial process is difficult. There's nothing like a bad Butterfinger craving mid-afternoon and all you have are carrot sticks. But, sticking it out does end up paying off and then the foaming-at-the-mouth cravings die down. Then, you start having fun getting creative with replacement foods. Like having a sweet potato with a meal or eating very, very, very dark chocolate or making "tortilla" chips out of whole wheat tortillas (you brush them with olive oil and bake them in the oven). You can even have a bit of red wine since it's so dry.

So, this is my official notice that I am cutting back. I won't say I'm going cold turkey right now because I have a tendency to be all gung-ho and then fail miserably. I will gently ease into this thing. Yes. We're already eating more whole grain due to Husband's need for more fiber.

I shall also add some gym workouts, since I'm still hanging on to this 15 pounds of baby weight and it's too stinking hot to take the baby for walks.

Love me through it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i may take the "light" road and join you a little. meaning, i'll attempt this, and take small steps. you're my hero for even taking on something this huge.

LeLe said...

Better to start out slow than to go all out and eat a piece of humble pie later. There I go, using food as examples.

Anonymous said...

Love you through it? Of course silly. I actually should do this too since Kenny always has to have cookies in the house. They are soooo good dipped in coffee. -_-