Friday, May 13, 2011

Back on the Wagon

Blogger, I'm holding out hope that you don't die again before I finish this post. And now, Twitter is all goofed up. Typical Friday the 13th, eh?

So...how's everyone doing? I did really good for about 5 weeks. I lost exercised and ate right and lost 5 pounds for my brother's wedding, which was the mental goal I had set. Then I was diagnosed with nintendonitis tendonitis in my achilles tendon. Ugh. That sure puts a damper on a workout schedule. I haven't been able to do much cardio in the past 2-3 weeks and I'm really upset about that. I had even psyched myself up to work out in the gym instead of doing Wii Active because it's a little more flexible and there are lots of different machines I can use. Plus, I hated the running so I could just do a stationary bike or elliptical. But my ankle really messed all that up.

Not only did I quit working out, but I reverted to my old eating habits. Ya know, frozen bagged food, fast food, chocolate...although I've kept my portions pretty small still. The 12-month-old has been cutting molars the PAST THREE WEEKS and I haven't gotten enough sleep or been able to take care of myself like I normally would. Sometimes, Hardees chicken strips and curlies just have to do the trick. At least my husband is supportive and encouraging and told me the other day that sometimes moms of 1-year-olds just don't have time to make a healthy dinner. No, but I'd still like to do better.

Image from here

So what can I do about this? Well, I'm getting back on the wagon. I will go grocery shopping this weekend and purchase some healthier options. Instead of letting my food run out down to the bare essentials (i.e., frozen fish sticks and tater tots), I will do better about keeping plenty of healthy snacks and meals in the house. I had quit using LoseIt for awhile because, what's the point if I'm eating way more than 1600 calories a day? I picked it back up again this morning. I also found some 3lb weights at home and I know I have an exercise ball that needs to be inflated. Even the boy will have fun playing with that! I can still play the Wii sports that burn calories (tennis, boxing, volleyball), even if I can't do much of the cardio. I still haven't tried my Zumba Fitness game and am not sure how rough it will be on my ankle but I guess it's worth a shot. Waking up at 5 AM hasn't worked well for me the past few weeks but maybe if that pesky molar ever pops through the gums, we can all get some decent rest again and I can pick back up my schedule. I can lift weights at the work gym (I even figured out my locker combination so I can keep an extra pair of tennis shoes and workout clothes there) and if I start feeling better, can get on the bike again.

Image from here

Also, it's LOVELY outside and the boy got a sandbox and a small swimming pool for his birthday so I expect lots of outdoors adventures. And the hedges need to be cut (that's a huge upper body workout). So, maybe I'll get into even MORE of my pre-pregnancy jeans by the end of summer.

I would also love to have an old school bike (the kind from the Regions commercial, not a mountain bike because I have horrible balance and am short and would rather brake with my feet). They even make little "trailers" you can hook on and tote around the kids behind you.

Have you fallen off the wagon? What do you plan to do about it? Any new, summer workout plans in the works?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if by "falling off the wagon" you mean "not posting to fitbytwitter", then i have (obviously) fallen off. i blame it on being sick. being sick, unfortunately for me, doesn't mean chicken broth and losing weight. it means whatever i have energy to find, and being lazy. i haven't even weighed myself in weeks, quite frankly, because i don't care right now.

i do want back though. i have kept up my healthy eating habits, if only to support my husband. so there's that.