Friday, July 22, 2011

South Beach

Oh! Hello, there! No, I haven't forgotten about you, I just have been eating very badly this summer. I don't know why. Not so much my lunches and dinners but the snacks. Oh, the snacks...someone save me from myself.

Hopefully that's about to change since my husband's orthopedic surgeon told him he needs to lose 20 lbs and suggested the South Beach Diet. He is going to have hip replacement surgery (I know, he's only 37. Crazy) within the next 6 months or so and can't do much working out other than swimming due to that bum hip. The doctor's wife is a nutritionist and has her own diet plan which is very similar to South Beach, so he suggested we look into that (his wife's plan is one of those where you have to purchase all the food and we just can't afford that). He actually lost 50 lbs himself so that's encouraging. I already have the book (psssst, the Kindle version is only $2.99 right now!) and have been looking at it periodically. And you know what? I don't think it's going to be as hard as I originally thought.

If you would have asked me to try this diet 5 years ago, I would have laughed in your face. But now that we've been adding more fresh vegetables and fish to our diet and now that I'm no longer scared of buying produce, the first phase (which is mainly vegetables and lean meats and eggs--no carbs or fruit) that lasts 14 days doesn't look that difficult to me. It's not going to be EASY because things get old after awhile and Hubby is used to lots of sweets, but I think I can handle 2 weeks worth of strict eating. And it's not like it's taking away everything tasty. We are allowed chicken breast, fish, salads, eggs, low-fat dairy, sugar substitutes, all the vegetables we can eat except for potatoes, and even coffee (although they suggest decaff, we are NOT going there). The next phase adds in fruit and healthy carbs (whole grains and such) and then by the third phase, you should be used to eating healthy that it's more of a lifestyle now than anything. They say you quit craving the sweets after the first few days on the diet and I believe that, because I've gone on successful sugar detoxes and after the first few rough days, it gets better. The problem is falling off the wagon by going on a binge and never getting back on. So, if we can keep from doing that, then we'll be good.

The great thing about this is that there is rapid weight loss in those first two weeks and it's mainly belly fat, which both of us struggle with. Now, I know that sounds hinky and too good to be true, but if you think about it, you're cutting out all the BAD foods and eating what's healthy and right, all the great things they eat in the Mediterranean and way back before we had so much processed foods. And it's not like Atkins where you just gorge on meat and meat and meat. I just don't even see how that is healthy. What I've been reading through this book is that this is a heart-healthy diet and can help prevent diabetes. That's always a great thing!

So, have any of you tried this diet before? Is anyone interested in doing it with me? I'm not sure when we'll begin, but the sooner, the better, in my book!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish they had free things like this online! i'll have to look into it. it's definitely something right up my alley, things i already eat mainly (so why am i still not losing much weight?).
can't wait to hear your updates!

LeLe said...

I think you have to kick start it with Phase 1, which is VERY strict...no fruit, only a small amount of sugar substitute, no carbs whatsoever. After those two weeks, you should have kick-started your metabolism and it just keeps going from there so you can add back in fruit and healthy carbs. You'll still lose weight, just not as quickly as the first two weeks. Make sense?

Anonymous said...

it does make sense. so the first two weeks are like, power weight loss?

i'm always hesitant to start an actual "diet" as opposed to just eating healthy and working out. i feel like if i eat a fruit, i'll feel like i failed, but fruits are still healthy!

LeLe said...

Yes, you are supposed to lose the most weight in the first two weeks (I think.) You can eat all the veggies (non-starches) you want in the first two weeks. I'll scan in the "foods to enjoy" and the "foods to avoid" and email them to you. You can have lots of sugar-free treats if you want too.

Midwinter Graces said...

I've done it several times, and each time, I've lost INSANE inches in the first two weeks. I cannot reccommend getting the Cookbook strongly enough. It's got an orange cover, and I think it's just called The South Beach Diet Cookbook. (I'd look, but it's currently on loan to a friend) It's the first diet I've been able to stick to, because the principle is, if you're hungry, you EAT. If you're hungry, grab a string cheese. Don't make yourself suffer. The first two weeks are hard, yeah, but it's the first three days that get you. After I got over the hump, it's smooth sailing. It's not a crazy fad diet; what you're eating is GOOD FOOD. I think you and the hubby will be really happy with it, especially if you pick up the cookbook, which is a little more lenient than the blue book, and has AMAZINGLY good recipes in it.

LeLe said...

I've only lost 2 lbs so far and I forgot to measure in the beginning so I don't know if I've lost any inches. My clothes aren't loose or anything. I think I messed up a few times inadvertently last week but I've pretty much grasped the concept so I think I"ll be okay. I think I'm gonna do a "Phase 1.5" for week 3 instead of moving straight into week 4, just to make sure I don't start craving stuff again. I'll be on the lookout for that cookbook. I need some more recipes!