Thursday, July 7, 2011

Today is Thursday

So what does that mean? Well, it's my day to blog and think and write down some goals and maybe feel guilty over all the weight I haven't been losing and all the weird/bad foods I have been eating.

Technically, I have all the time in the world to be working out, planning meals, cooking, and generally eating healthy. Is it happening though? No. I've been staying up MUCH too late, sleeping in super late, being lazy, and just writing a lot of nonsense that doesn't really mean anything to anyone in the "real world". Basically, it's been a blah summer in a town with too many workers and not enough jobs where I've been on a series of interviews and been unable to close the deal.

Truth be told, I need a routine.

I hate routine, but it is necessary to get me on track into a healthy lifestyle. With a busy school life comes structure and the need to block out 45 minutes of time for walking. If I don't block it out, it wouldn't happen and I need all the study breaks that I can get. Here and now, I'm just sitting around thinking "Oh, I could do that.... after I watch one more episode of X." And then it doesn't happen. So, it needs to happen. I need a routine. Hubby goes to the gym ever morning. I need to start going with him and walking on the treadmill. Who cares if it's boring? I need to do it, for me, for my heart, and for my sister's wedding next summer.

Yes, that's right. My baby sister turns 21 next year and is getting married to her high school sweetheart. She's such a pretty girl and a joy to the whole family. I don't want to be the dumpy matron of honor. No. I want to be the hot matron of honor who organizes an awesome shower and looks super awesome in her likely sleeveless dress for all those photos. I can do it! I will be pretty and look great in her pictures. I lost a bunch of weight for my wedding and looking back, I love how I looked. Sure, I could have lost a bit more, but overall, I think I looked pretty hot. (The mister thought I did, too --- said I was just as pretty that day as I was the day we met. Which means a lot being about 25 pounds heavier then than I was when we met.)

Additionally, I'm doing a fitness challenge with my parents. We are all going to log X-number of fitness minutes a week. When I'm working out, I'm motivated to eat healthier. I'm motivated to eat less frozen and more whole foods. I'm motivated to eat more greens and less rice. I'm motivated to eat less ice cream and more fruit. So yes, when my body feels work out, tired and just.... so good, I feel good. I eat better.

So yes, this is me consciously talking about getting back on the horse. The challenge starts Sunday. Wish me luck!

Where are you with your goals? What motivates you?

3 comments:

LeLe said...

I think we all have the same idea this week. Both Erin and I have decided to suck it up and go to the gym, even when we don't feel like it. She's there now and her job is to email me and remind me to go at 4:00. No excuses!

But I am like you, when I'm working so hard on getting my body fit, I am more conscious of what I'm putting INTO my body. I am more successful with eating healthier and smaller portions. I hate that my weak ankle halted my progress a few months ago. It's so hard to build up motivation in the first place and it sucks if you have to take a break for awhile b/c then you have to psych yourself up again.

You CAN do it! And I thought you looked awesome in your wedding photos!

I signed up for an iVillage newsletter concerning the President's Challenge. It's supposed to send you an email each day to remind you to do some sort of fitness. I think it's for 6 weeks. I'll try to post the link tomorrow.

Kyrstin said...

It does suck to have progress halted by injury. I have problems with my hips and knees so walking can sometimes get painful, but not being active can be painful too. I really think my best bet would be a water aerobics class because water is supposed to minimize soreness and joints. There is a walking program at the lazy river at the pool. I should join that for $16/6 weeks. I do rather like water/being wet during the summer. But that's only once a week.

I think it's great you guys are keeping each other honest and on track. This is the plan I have with my parents too. Besides, 25 pounds by July 21, 2012? That's only 2.5 pounds a month! I can do it!

LeLe said...

Totally doable! And that's an awesome price for that class. We have Zumba here for $5 a session and they even have childcare but it's at 7 PM and that just doesn't work for us. It would be better if it were at 5:30 or 6 and then we could do dinner afterward. 7 is just a weird time.