Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Check-In Time!

Oh my heck, is it Wednesday again? The weeks are just flying by!

I had this weird 'aha' moment yesterday. The realization came to me that it's now been 26 days since I've had a cup of coffee. It's been 26 days since I've had a soda, or for that matter, any drink that isn't juice, soymilk, water, or tea. I also have had very little refined sugar since then as well, a fact that was actually driven home for me hardcore when I was cooking this week.

After a REALLY successful attempt to make vegan sour cream, I decided to attempt another recipe in the book, vegan whipped cream. I intended to make a berry dessert and thought it'd be a delicious topping. I eyed the recipe, which called for sugar, with some apprehension. But, hey, the first recipe had been successful, I wanted to give this one a chance before I started tweaking it.

I made the whipped cream, and did the standard chef move of tasting it along the way. Honestly, it wasn't good. I decided to add some agave nectar (love that stuff!) and tasted it again. Still awful. Not sweet at all and with this horrid soy aftertaste (the basis is tofu and vanilla soy milk). I added more vanilla soy and threw in some stevia, then tasted it again. Nope. Atrocious. Only, a slightly sweeter version of atrocious. I finally decided that it was a lost cause, nixed the dessert idea, and rinsed it down the sink.

About an hour later, oh my word, did I feel AWFUL. I had a headache, I felt jittery, and I could actually feel my heart racing faster. That night, I couldn't sleep a wink. I tossed and turned, too wired to drift off. And I felt SICK. You know how you reach that moment where your body finally protests all of your attempts to fight off a sickness, and you finally give in? Yeah. That's how badly I felt.

It took about 24 hours before I felt better. I blame all the sugar in the recipe (there was 1/2 c in there!). Even the few tasting spoons I had were chaos on my system. I guess this means that I'm finally retraining my body to process the nutritious stuff, which made me completely aware of how hard my body (and yours!) has to work to process the refined, non-nutritious white sugar that abounds in our food supply.

It also makes me wonder if I'd always felt it, if every time I'd had too much sugar, if my body had protested, and I just hadn't noticed? I wondered if I'd just written it off as a bug that I was fighting? It's food for thought, definitely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, interesting! it's got to be neat to see the way your body reacts to these things now that you're not eating them regularly.

LeLe said...

That's crazy! I think about Win and about how all he eats is veggies and meats and grains and no refined sugars. He gets natural sugars in the fruits he eats but that just makes me never want to give him any sweets. Of course, I won't be able to avoid it forever, especially with his first birthday in a few months. Very interesting!