Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Week 2 - a little Progress

These are just going to be my observations on how I am dealing with the challenge. Last week I complained.  I still stand by a lot of that, I didn't feel better. Ryan and I made a deal that if we were not feeling improvements at the end of week 2 (once all the allergens had been reintroduced) we were going to scrap it.

The first day of week 2 we got to reintroduce eggs and that one thing made a BIG difference in how hungry I was all the time. Having just one egg in the morning really decreased how snack-y I was throughout the  day. I guess I underestimated the importance of protein in a morning meal. Now we are having scrambled eggs and smoothies as part of our morning routine.

 On Wednesday I went to playgroup and pretended the diet didn't exist. I had the potluck lunch provided, I drank a soda and even had a cookie for dessert. When I came home the diet was back on and I cooked a veggie heavy meal with lean protein. And, throughout the week, with the addition of all the different foods, wheat, and nuts etc I found it easier and easier to stick to the plan. This is meant to be a lifestyle change and I think, if nothing else, we will succeed in that.

I was still getting headaches not-quite-daily for the duration of week 2. So we debated quitting the diet. Ryan didn't want to and I was torn.  BUT, week three is simply to make more healthy substitutes to your diet. Whole grains, lean protein, brown rice instead of white etc.  Lots of homemade and, as with the previous weeks, cut out the pre-packaged and processed foods.  Those are easy for me, meaning week 3 will be easier.  That is how I try to cook anyway. Although I am still craving sugar and sodas I am ok with not having them daily. My current plan is I can have a soda when we are out,  but never buy a case to bring home and have sitting in the fridge.

The yoga routines this week were pretty fun, hello tricep workouts! I was sore after just 10 minutes of yoga. I decided to add the workouts from week 1 and 2 together and I am really enjoying them.

Something I am NOT doing very well with, drinking water  (possibly part of the reason for the headaches) I am certainly not drinking as much as the diet calls for.  I am also not following many of the "mind" prompts for this "mind and body" challenge. That's just some room for improvement in week 3.

3 comments:

LeLe said...

I'm glad this week is better for you. Eggs are an amazing little food, aren't they? Of course, I like to eat three at a time. :)

I'm trying to substitute brown rice for white and switch to whole grain but it's sometimes hard. I think the soda when out idea is a good one and I'm trying to do that too, although I had a Cherry RC last night. Back on the wagon again today. Going to Red Lobster yesterday didn't help though. Tonight I will make broile tilapia with veggies and no bread. Maybe some wild rice, not sure.

I wish I could commit to an exercise regimen. I've just got to make a decision and go with it. I did buy a "Lose the Baby Weight" DVD so time will tell if I ever pop that into the player. :P

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update! i noticed i forgot to post about week 3 after i saw this one post. whoops.

but like you said, weeks 3 and 4 seem easy. you have a TON of options for recipes just on the website (not limited to the challenge recipes), and like you said-- making healthy substitutions. see, this is sorta what i've been doing all along, but it's still good to be reminded. this is a lifestyle change, not a 4-week diet.

Midwinter Graces said...

I'm so proud of you for sticking with this! Great job. :-) I'm glad this week is a bit easier for you, too. Just think, so many more options await you in the coming weeks and for the rest of your life.

You can do it!