Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Update from the Crazy Vegan :-)

At the risk of being the unpopular girl in the room, I have loads of positive things to report! I've been 100% vegan in my dietary habits since January 1st, and I feel absolutely amazing.

Okay, okay, I'm sure you want the juicy details, so here they are. In 12 days, I've lost 6 pounds. I don't know how many inches, because well, I didn't measure, but I know I've lost those, too. I'm officially down a pants size as of this morning.

I tried, as a long shot, to put on a pair of my favorite brown cords that I haven't been able to fit into in ages. They'd been hanging out in the laundry room, but like an idiot, I put all of my clothes into the washer without remembering that I had an appointment to keep...BEFORE my clothes were dry. I figured, hey, I can squeeze my ass into them long enough for a quick drive, right? To my surprise, they PULLED ALL THE WAY UP! With wrinkles of fabric to spare!

Other physical changes, I'm using much less makeup now because my problem skin is clearing right up and looking more even than it has in years. I also have so much energy, and this may seem odd, but my body doesn't crackle like Rice Crispies every time I move. I don't know if that's a result of the healthier food, or the weight loss, or what, but it seems significant, so I thought I'd mention it.

I haven't had a cup of coffee in more than a week, just taking daily vitamins, and I have tons of energy. I'm able to fall asleep at a decent hour, sleep through the night (unless Vegas pushes me out of bed - silly dog!) and I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go.

It's actually been a LOT simpler than I thought it was going to be. I plan my meals in advance, and I shop much less often, since I'm doing more planning. (No more random trips to the store because I'm hungry after work). I've even gone out to restaurants with friends, and not had to annoy the kitchen with special orders, since nearly every place has a searchable menu online, and I can see exactly what I can eat before we go. I've found things at ihop, Dennys, and Olive Garden that I can safely eat, and not look like a schmuk.

And I just FEEL good. I'm in a better mood, have more energy, and I'm never hungry between meals. No, really. I eat three meals a day, and maybe a snack to tide me over, but when I get hungry, it's time to eat a meal. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all.

As my good friend Erin says (not the Erin from this blog), this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change, and she is SO right. Going vegan has been the best decision I've made in a long time, and it's completely changed my life.

3 comments:

Kyrstin said...

I'm so glad this is making such a difference for you. I've been thinking about going completely veggie one day a week but I need to do more research. I just don't know if I can give up steak... and cheese completely. But I've been surprised at what I like if I just try it.

My uncle is dating a crazy vegan (like one who tries to push her values off one others, so to me you are not crazy) and she made pizza with pesto sauce, tofurkey chorizo, artichokes, olive medley, and vegan cheese (it's soy based, I think) and guess what? I ate two pieces. It was pretty good.

Midwinter Graces said...

I've stumbled on a couple vegan cheeses which are actually really good. :-)

And I circled the pool of going vegan for a long time. I'd try one vegan meal a week, figuring hey, at least it's a start! Then I'd buy soy instead of regular milk, little things like that, kind of figuring out what worked for me.

It's all baby steps! :-) If you want to try a veg meal once in awhile, I can point you in the direction of some great recipes!

LeLe said...

I kind of hate you right now, just a little. No, not really but I'm totally jealous of your new body and health!