Friday, January 28, 2011

The Road to Healthy Eating

I actually have a progress report this week. Last Saturday, I bought groceries. I got a LOT more produce than I normally get: two bags of baby carrots, some bell pepper to cut up for snacks, a bag of oranges, some apples, some bagged salad, fresh mushrooms for roasting, among other things. I also bought all whole-grains and all lean means: a large bag of tilapia, shrimp, lean pork chops. I bought substitutions for more healthy quick-meals for weeknights and lunches: whole wheat tortillas for steak quesadillas, whole grain buns for BBQ, whole wheat pasta for shrimp arrabiatta, lots of steamed veggies, low-fat canned soups, etc. I also bought a ton of healthy snack options: low-fat granola bars, fat free yogurt, hummus to go with the carrots and bell pepper. I also got brave and bought some almond milk--not a huge fan but it works in my cereal. The almond aftertaste is a little daunting.

I spent a lot of money but got enough to last us two weeks. And I spent about the same amount as I normally spend. But I went to Kroger and I usually can find some really good deals and utilize their sales combined with their coupons and come out really well. Here's a breakdown of what my day of eating usually looks like:

Breakfast: cereal with almond milk
Morning snack: fat free yogurt
Lunch: lean cuisine and carrots with hummus
Afternoon snack (if hungry): orange
Supper: Regular supper but smaller portions since I'm not starving from all the snacking during the day
Drinks: water and a little bit of coffee

I'm doing SO much better with my portion sizes. I have not gorged myself (really, this is a huge step forward) once this week. I even leave food on my plate. One night, I was craving ice cream, so I just bought the little bitty tub of Skinny Cow low-fat ice cream. It was a very small, single-serve tub and just enough to give me a chocolate fix. I haven't eaten much sugar at all this week. Mostly, just in my cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios or Cocoa Puffs--I usually don't eat Cocoa Puffs but some days I just want something chocolatey). Yoplait has so many great yogurt flavors that I feel like I get a treat every time I eat one. At first, the hummus was a little peculiar but it's growing on me.

I still need to eat more veggies at suppertime, but it's been one of those weeks when I'm lucky if I get supper on the table before the baby's bedtime. I'll try to do better next week. I think I may cook fish tonight and I'll pop in a bag of veggies if so and maybe some brown rice. Maybe not even any carbs at all.

Honestly, I'm not craving junk food like I did. I'm not have the ravenous chocolate withdrawals like I used to. I can't say that I've lost any weight or that I feel GREAT yet, but I know I'm on the right track. Now, if I could just get some exercise in. Tomorrow will be a lovely day in the high 60s, so I may take the baby out for a brisk stroll. I'm sure he'd love to get out of the house, as would I. I want to try to go to bed earlier and get up a little earlier and do my workout DVD. That's my next goal. That, and continuing to buy healthier foods. If I have to buy snacks for my hubby, then I'll get stuff I don't like. That way, I'm not even remotely tempted to eat it.

How have you all been doing?

9 comments:

Kyrstin said...

Mmmmm... tilapia. I've never made fish. I'm worried I'll mess it up or something. I don't know why...

Way to go on your eating! It looks really great. Pre-portioned lean cuisine really seem awesome. I found a microwave on campus yesterday (while walking through buildings I don't usually go in), so I might be able to start doing the same!

Anonymous said...

kyrstin, tilapia is the EASIEST fish to cook. seriously. buy a bag of frozen, top with some lemon-pepper seasoning (or whatever you want), and bake according to package directions. done.

lele, you hit the nail on the head. how can you eat poorly when your house is so full of health foods? good job. also, buy a lot of the frozen steam-in-bag veggies. cheap, and so easy. i love them.

LeLe said...

Fish is easy. Just sprinkle with your favorite seasonings, put the oven on broil, stick on the broiling pan and broil until it flakes easily with a fork. Doesn't take long and make sure you don't overcook it. Piece of cake!

I also found this soup and cereal diet (I know, it sounds a little sketchy, right?) but it suggests eating cereal with skim milk for breakfast with a piece of fruit. Then for lunch, have a bowl of Progresso soup (not a whole can, but a serving) with half a sandwich (or something similar...a pita or salad or something) then have a healthy supper and it's supposed to help jump-start weight loss. Not as strict as the boring Special-K diet. I'm using the premise and using lean cuisine some days and soup/half a sammy some days. I guess we'll see if it works.

LeLe said...

Erin, Kroger was having a $5 cash back deal on all their frozen foods (buy 10 select items and get $5 back at the register) so I loaded up on Green Giant steam-in veggies.

Kyrstin said...

I think it's the over-cooking that worries me. Alright... buying a bag soon! How much harder is it to cook salmon?

Anonymous said...

IMO, there's not a hard fish to cook. i cook salmon the same way-- seasoning, then bake/broil til flaky.

Kyrstin said...

Ok. :-) Trying them both then! I'll report back later! ;-)

LeLe said...

Update...I just weighed for the first time in awhile and I'm down 5 pounds! AND it's that time of the month and I'm all bloated, so normally I wouldn't weigh less during this time. Could my scale be broken? :P

Midwinter Graces said...

Congrats, Lele! I don't think you're scale's broken at all. :-) I think your healthy choices are showing!

Honestly, I can tell a HUGE difference between brands when it comes to almond, rice, and soy milk. Don't be afraid to try a different one and see what suits your tastebuds. My fave, currently, is Kikkoman Pearl Soy milk. The roomie prefers Silk. I like Blue Diamond Almond Milk, too.



And I heard that Kyrstin made tilapia last night, and that it was awesome. <3