Friday, December 17, 2010

What I'm Doing Right and Other Stuff

So, I got to thinking the other day (this post has been in the works for going on 3 weeks now) that I always get down on myself about what I'm NOT doing right, that I rarely pat myself on the back for what I do get right. Therefore, I will give you a list of things that I do to make my life a little healthier. There are definitely things I could be doing differently and if you have any suggestions on things I could incorporate into my life that won't take too much time or money, I'm all ears.

Cooking lots of lean meats -- I try to broil pork and fish as much as possible; broiling takes less than 10 minutes in most cases, so it's really good for my time-strapped schedule. I never fry anything because not only is it unhealthy, it's really time-consuming. I'm a poor excuse for a Southern girl, but that's just the way it is. We don't own a Fry-Daddy (although my husband would love if we did) and if I get a hankering for fried chicken, I just do Shake and Bake. Okay, that's actually pretty fattening, but at least we're not getting all the grease and oil.

Not cooking with salt -- Much to my husband's dismay, I do not salt as I cook. My mom never really did and I never "learned" to eat food with lots of salt. I occasionally put different seasonings in veggies when I cook them but I let MK salt his own food. I can't stand something that's been oversalted and my definition of "oversalted" is usually different than everyone else's.

Buying whole grain bread -- Our favorite bread is actually Nature's Own Multi-Grain bread and our Walmart is out of it every other time I go grocery shopping. So, I have to get the 100% whole grain, which is more bitter than the multi-grain. The multi-grain has a nuttier flavor and isn't as bitter to the taste. I actually would rather experiment with different grains than eat white bread.

Eating fiber-rich cereals -- No Cocoa Puffs for me! Although the sugary cereals are tasty, they sure don't go very far. I'm hungry an hour later whenever I eat unhealthy cereal. But if I eat a healthier cereal or oatmeal, I stay satisfied longer. I also drink nothing but skim milk. I wish I had more time to cook a proper breakfast, because I'd love to eat eggs in the mornings for an added boost of protein.

Not buying the sweet stuff that I love -- If I don't have it in the house, I don't crave it much. If MK wants me to buy him some cookies or sweets, I try to get the stuff that I'm not that into. Like chocolate. I get something without chocolate because if chocolate is in the house, I will eat it.

Now, none of this includes activity. But, my office is a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way from the parking lot. Like 10 minutes from the parking lot and it's all walking. I sit on my rear all day at work, but the bathrooms are quite a ways down the hall and once I get home, I don't get to sit down for very long until after the baby goes to bed. And even then, if I'm doing things like loading/unloading the dishwasher or laundry, then I might not sit down until 10:00 PM. It's too cold to take the baby on walks right now in the evenings and I wouldn't have much time to do that anyway since I have to prepare supper. Also, we have hardwoods so if I do any kind of activity inside the house, I'll accidentally wake the baby up. Once the holidays die down, I'm going to try to do more walking at work. I've said it before...we have a gym and I need to utilize it.

And, none of this is helping me lose weight but at least I'm not gaining. I went clothes shopping the other day and it was SO depressing. I am two sizes bigger than I was pre-pregnancy and holding steady at 15 pounds of baby weight. My brother gets married in April, so I would really like to drop this 15 pounds by then and need to figure out something that works with my new life.

No comments: