Sunday, November 14, 2010

Reasons to stay Fit!

I had a great plan. I was gonna come in here, all serious like, with my serious cap on, and tell you all why you should stay fit. And then I was going to tell myself that I should do the same. It was a great plan.
I'm still going to tell you, but it's not going to be as well thought out as I had hoped. However, that doesn't mean it's not just as serious, and just as devastating.

Type 1 Diabetes is prevalent in my family. We are not obese, however this type of diabetes is as unfortunate as it's relative, and just as uncomfortable and deadly. My grandmother died of this last year. Genetically speaking, I'm very aware that there is a good chance I could also have this disease at some point... in thinking of this, and passing (luckily) my gestational glucose screening test last week, I started thinking about a type of diabetes that we CAN try to keep ourselves from getting... Type 2 Diabetes. Although this type is also genetic, there are ways that we can help ourselves, to avoid this unfortunate disease. And for those that try and cannot avoid it, I apologize for making this post seem like I have all the answers.

Now, ideally, I would have researched this all week, learning and sharing with you my findings. Unfortunately my life doesn't always allow for this luxury and this week, I couldn't quite get the ball rolling. (There was ALOT of tweeting to do people... do you know how much time that takes up?)

Instead, I will link you to the wikipedia page, so that you may have a read through, and remember why it is that it's important for us to eat healthy, and stay fit. Why it is important that we teach our children how to do the same, and why it is important that we nag the heck out of our husbands to lay off the crap.

And thank you. Without this blog, and my thoughts on an idea to help us stay fit, I would have never really thought as hard, or read up as much, on this disease. I really needed this reminder.







No comments: