Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Perspective and numbers

Day 2 of the Wii Fit challenge, and I bumped up the intensity. Yesterday I started off on low, I wasn't sure what to expect and, while there were a few exercises that pushed me a little, it wasn't the workout I was hoping for. I only burned an estimated 76 calories. Today I moved it up to medium (hey, I'm still in really bad shape and haven't worked out in MONTHS) and burned 136 calories. It seemed like such a small number to me, so I did some quickie google research this afternoon.

136.

One pound of fat is the equivalent of 3500 calories. 3500.

My 136 is barely a drop in that bucket.

To lose 1 lb a week you need to have a 500 calorie a day deficit. So, either exercise off 500 calories, cut 500 calories worth of food out of your diet, or a combination of both. Of course you burn calories just during the course of the day, powering everything that you do, and you can find your baseline for that also known as your Basal Metabolic rate here. For me, with my Basal Metabolic rate, that's cutting the equivalent of 2 full days of food out of my diet. Yeah I like thinking of things in random and overwhelming terms like that.

I am not really going anywhere with this, just that I am happy you cam break it up, eating 300 fewer calories and working out/burning 200 seems much more do-able. I just thought I'd share since the numbers were a bit surprising to me.

Also, does anyone have a tasty (organic? All natural?) protein bar they want to recommend. I have been craving protein after working out these last few days.

6 comments:

Midwinter Graces said...

I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Luna Protein Bar. Not the regular LunaBar. They have a Protein bar. It tastes GREAT, doesn't have an aftertaste, and it REALLY does the trick.

http://www.rei.com/product/801766

Before I became vegan, my favorite was the Cookie Dough flavor. You can get the bars in the nutrition section at most stores.

Anonymous said...

my wii workouts have dropped a lot more calories than yours, i wonder why? monday was 122, yesterday was 149.

LeLe said...

Mine, too, Erin. My first day was around 150 (I didn't write it down) and yesterday was around 140. I had no idea it would be different for everyone...

I love cookie dough so I may try that protein bar! I'm dropping calories and started using LoseIt and am trying to do around 1600 calories a day. I still had 300 left at the end of the day I could have used yesterday but didn't, so woot! I'm sure I will use that up on birthday supper tonight.

Hannah said...

Yeah, my numbers seem low compared to everyones. I thought maybe because I started on low intensity and I wasn't sure if you guys were doing a higher intensity?

A quick google tells me it calculates calories burned based on the predetermined burn rate of the exercise and your weight. So yeah...

LeLe said...

I've been doing low intensity as well. Hmmmm. Weird.

Anonymous said...

Apparently it is easier to burn calories if you are heavier. Your body works harder... You sweat more... And so on. As you get smaller, it is harder to lose...