Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Harsh Truth....

It's been awhile since I have posted a blog here, and I apologize for my lack of involvement.  I should be posting no matter what, so I hope my Twitter to get Fitter ladies will forgive me. 

I preface this blog with saying this, dieting is an up and down roller coaster.  I have battled with weight my entire life.  Im also going to admit a harsh truth about myself.  My name is Stephanie and I am a 5'1", 351 pound woman.  I have managed to lose down 250 pounds, hit a plateau, give up, and gain it all back, plus some. I lose the will power easily. There is no excuse for my weight. I do have thyroid problems, but you know what, no one forces the food down my throat. People say I have a disease. No, I have a love affair with food. Some say it's because I use food as comfort. I don't agree with that either. I eat when Im happy, sad, depressed, stressed, partying, etc... Some people eat to live, I live to eat.


Two years ago, I looked into having the LapBand procedure done.  Of course I was a prime candidate.  I spent close to $2000 out of my pocket between doctor, physcologist, and nutritionist visits to get ready for this surgery.  I gave up carbs, exercised, and before the surgery was to be scheduled, I lost 30 pounds in less than 6 weeks.  The doctor gave the approval for the surgery and everything now weighed on my insurance company.  Please keep in mind that both I and my doctors office called the insurance company and was told the procedure would be covered.  After all of that, the insurance denied the surgery.  I fought with the insurance company for almost a year and was finally told that it was over.  They would not hear another appeal from me.  The procedure would not be covered, period.  Of course I was devestated, and "accepted" that I was just going to be fat for the rest of my life. 

I have even been heard saying that I would rather be fat and happy, verses skinny and miserable.  Guess what?  Im fat and miserable.  I don't have to be fat and miserable.  So, Ive joined WeightWatchers, because as long as I have stuck with it, I have lost some weight.  My goal is too lose 215 pounds.  Seeing that number feels intimidating.  However, I did not put this weight on overnight and Im not going to lose it overnight.  I have to get the will power and the determination to get it off.  Even if it takes 3 years.  That seems awfully long, but I have to do this for myself.  No one can do it for me.  

I end with this, I have not told you my harsh truth looking for sympathy or judgement.  I tell you this story to hopefully find the courage I need to do what I have to do lose this weight.  I don't want to walk through a store anymore and here little kids say "Mom, look at that fat woman.  She's huge!" or have to shop specialty stores to find clothes to fit me.  I would love to be able to walk into WalMart or Target, and buy an outfit.  So, I hope that you guys will remain a source of support.  I hope you see how badly I really need you.  Take care and lots of love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've missed you :-)
it's good to have you back. I hope you'll come back to having this blog be a safe place, a supportive place. I would not be where I'm at without it, that's for sure!

And I've loved hearing about your progress through Weight Watchers on Twitter! Maybe you could blog about that!

Tamara said...

Even when you thought you left us, we never ever left you!! I knew you'd be back!

Keep it up! Let's do this!

LeLe said...

Lots of people have had success with Weight Watchers. Erin's mom surely did and she looks great. You're right...it will take longer than overnight, but you can do it!

Kyrstin said...

I know you can do it! And Tamara's right... We've never left you and we won't! We're here to support you no matter what! *hugs*