Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hmmmm

So - My camera broke so no pics of the scale.... though that doesn't matter because I'm actually up a lb. I definitely know why. I stopped doing my Wii workouts!!! I thought my elliptical would be just as good, but it's not! No one pushes me when I'm tired, no one yells at me to keep going... (ok the Wii doesn't actually yell, but you gotta get it done, ya know?) So. Decision made. Back to Wii.

Other than that, I've been baking. Ha. Always good for the diet. Banana bread, zucchini bread, cookies... terrible. Aaaaand tasty.

I did, however, find a great recipe for a yummy, healthy, salad.


* 2 cups water
* 2 cubes chicken bouillon
* 1 clove garlic, smashed
* 1 cup uncooked quinoa
*
* 2 large cooked chicken breasts - cut into bite size pieces
* 1 large red onion, diced
* 1 large green bell pepper, diced
* 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
* 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup olive oil

Directions

1. Bring the water, bouillon cubes, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard the garlic clove and scrape the quinoa into a large bowl.
2. Gently stir the chicken, onion, bell pepper, olives, feta cheese, parsley, chives, and salt into the quinoa. Drizzle with the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Stir until evenly mixed. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 278 | Total Fat: 13.9g | Cholesterol: 45mg


So, its not exactly super lowfat/lowcal but it's definitely a healthy choice. Once you've tried the Quinoa and decide whether or not you like it, consider substituting for your rice in future dishes! It's much better for you!

CHALLENGE TIME: Take one picture of you exercising this week. Don't care what it is. Just wanna see you doing it.

xox!
Tamara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The recipe sounds good-- isn't it crazy how much working out and baking affects? and i looove to bake. boo. i usually make something and bring it into work to make all of THEM eat it!

and super glad for the challenge! thanks a ton!