Monday, March 22, 2010

the biggest loser

i've started a little fun competition at my work. there are 9 people participating, and this is what we have planned:

on april 1st, everyone that's participating is putting $10 into the pot to reserve their spot. on april 5th we have our first weigh-in. we'll weigh in every monday after that, and if you lose weight you're good. if you gain weight or stay the same, you put $1 into the pot. if you don't show up, you put $1 into the pot because we can't verify if you lost or not.

we have our last weigh-in on May 31st, and whoever has lost the most weight (percentage-wise) wins whatever's in the pot. so if you win, you're winning AT LEAST $90 (from the initial set-up moneys). and even if you stay the same through the whole thing, you only lose $17 total (9 weeks, minus weigh-in and final day= 7 weeks plus the $10 starting).

people have had comments about, what if they want to just stay the same, they're still "punished" by not losing weight, or what if they start building muscle- so they'll gain weight and thus have to pay.

the point of this is not necessarily to make people starve themselves to win some money. it's made to be a support system, motivational for healthy living, and a jump start for people to begin a weight-loss program of their own.

i'll keep you posted on how it goes, and on my progress! wish me luck! that's a lot of money! :-)

1 comment:

Tamara said...

People always make me laugh when money is involved. It's all about the technicalities... (I can hear the excuses now... Um hello! Look at this muscle! It weighs at LEAST .5896587458 lbs)

I really wish that I was working right now as I would DEFINITELY do the same thing! What a great idea! I can't wait to hear when you win ERIN!!!!!

Tamara