Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I have an addiction....

To baked goods. I start going a little crazy if there is not some form of muffin, cookie, scone etc available in my house at all times. When I came across this article I was distracted from the content by the thought "Ahhh, I NEED that cheesecake!"

Which, as it turns out, is kind of the point of the article. For me, at least, it made me stop and think about why I eat and drink the things I do. I am addicted to sodas. Even though I cut back while pregnant, actually switched to caffeine free, I still had one a day. Can you imagine the weight I'd lose if I managed to kick that habit? And what about that weekly swing through the drive through? And, I can admit here, that the part about eating to the point of pain... yeah... I know about that. I will go back for seconds, even when full, because dinner was Just. That. Good. Now I can use the excuse that all the celebs use to get out of trouble when they've done something naughty. "I can't help it, it's an addiction!"

In all seriousness, it makes sense. Food = pleasure and many pleasurable things can be addictive. It helps to understand that your body is working against you and loosing weight is a serious lifestyle change, why crash diets are doomed to failure. On the upside, if those fatty food are no longer a daily part of my life I'll just enjoy them that much more when I do splurge from time to time, right?

In other news, I coasted on last week's stomach flu and my, presumably, smaller stomach, and started consciously eating smaller portions. I am now down another 3 lbs. I am only 3 lbs from my first goal. Only 3 more lbs to go until May and the beach. Only 3 more lbs until I get out of my maternity clothes and into my between pregnancy pants. I can do 3 lbs. I am excited about 3 lbs.

5 comments:

LeLe said...

Aw, man. Food is pleasure to me, too. I eat to the point of pain. I need to change my thinking but it's so HARD! You can totally do 3 pounds. Go, you!

Anonymous said...

Wow. 3 pounds. I wish my goal had shrunk to 3 pounds. I'd be excited about 3 pounds, too. I can't even stop saying it. 3 pounds. 3 pounds. I'm insanely jealous of your 3 pounds.

and i agree with the baked goods. my weakness is anything bread-y. or sweet. or bread-y AND sweet... mmmm... excuse me while i drool on my desk now.

Hannah said...

3 lbs is my stage one goal. Back into my between-pregnancy pants. I'd ideally like to lose another 10 lbs on top of that but given my history that final 10 may have to wait until after I am done nursing.

Kyrstin said...

3 lbs! Whoa! Go you! :-) I'm insanely proud of you and can't wait until my goal is only 3 pounds!

My weaknesses are bread, popcorn, and ice cream... and mottz sticks with ranch... mmmmmmm.

Tamara said...

My weakness is gravy. On anything. Wait, who am I kidding. On everything!