Thursday, March 11, 2010

What am I doing again?

You know the hardest part about working with new habits? I'm sure you do... It's motivation and sticking to those goals so that they become habits. It's so easy (at least for me) to write down my goals, but not so easy to stick to them.

I totally slacked off last week. I went to Ames to visit my fiance and my friends this last weekend and pretty much ate whatever I wanted... I didn't plan well for my week at work and so I snacked and bought unhealthy food from the deli hot-case. I had a lot of goals for last week... let's see how I stacked up against them, shall we?

1) Inquire into costs of Y-membership or some other way of being able to lift weights & walk 2-3 times a week.
-It costs $34.50 a month to be a member of the local Y, plus a $35 joining fee... I'm not so sure it's worth it. As it warms up outside, I know I can walk outside and my brother has a weight set outside in the barn. All I really need are a few 10 lb dumb bells. I'm going to think on this for another week.

2) Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

-I think I drank around 6 (8 oz.) glasses of water a day. I'll keep working on this.

3) Eat 3 fruits/vegetables a day (at least one of them being a fresh fruit or vegetable).

-I ate an average of 2 fruits/veggies every day this last week, I'll keep working on this goal too!

4) Lose 2 lbs.

-Um... yeah. No comment. :-(

5) Go browse for some cute spring clothes. The way I am losing weight... I just might enjoy shopping again! (And definitely won't fit into what I wore last summer!)
-I'm down from a size 20 in October to a size 16! Needless to say... I did a little shopping this last weekend. I found a LOT of cute stuff on clearance at Old Navy. I think a lot of it is from last fall as it's short sleeve t-shirts, etc, but it's perfect for spring!

6) Continue adding in heart healthy foods and cutting out sodium and cholesterol.

-I am definitely working on this. We cook using a product called "NoSalt" and it has 0 mg of sodium in it. We are buying low sodium, no salt added, and other similar products. We are also purchasing more "low-fat", "reduced fat", etc. products. This goal will stick with me, too. :-)
---------------------------------------------------------
Alright.... well, now that I did my depressing weigh-in on goals from two weeks ago, I want to talk about something that I desperately NEED help with... MOTIVATION!

So, I'm going to ask you ladies for ideas... What keeps you motivated? Is it a person? A picture? A "magic" number? (You know... an ideal weight?) A reward you're going to get when you get there? (A massage?) Basically, what keeps you motivated? I want to know, because I need something to keep me motivated! So please! These are my smoke-signals! My S.O.S.! I need help!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I love blogs that warrant a response!
Question: what is "NoSalt"? Tell me more about it.
Answer: The only thing that keeps me motivated is seeing the weight slip off, albeit slowly. That and how GREAT I feel after I work out. I will sometimes just want to sit with a good book instead of working out, but then I go to the gym and I'm *so proud* of myself for going one or two minutes longer on the elliptical without feeling winded. I'm getting to where I see results, even if it doesn't mean fitting into my skinny jeans. I can tell I'm actually GETTING IN SHAPE by the way I now feel the burn before I run out of breath.

It's alright, hun. You'll be back :-) We're all in this together!

LeLe said...

There are lots of things you can do outside now that the weather is turning nicer. I wouldn't pay that much for a membership either. Our local gym costs about that much and I can even get a small discount through my insurance but it's not enough when I can go to my work gym for free. Is there a community center nearby with a walking track? Or a school? Sometimes MK and I go to the high school football field to walk because they have a track. I used to live in town that had a community center with a second-story walking track around the basketball court and it cost maybe $5 a year to use their facilities. And at least you're meeting some of your goals rather than completely abandoning them. Good job!

P.S. I changed the date of your post b/c it was showing up under last week. I bumped it up to yesterday.

Tamara said...

Personally for me, it's a date. I want to get pregnant (eek) and I want to be a certain weight before that happens. Everytime I start to eat worse, or see that the weight isn't falling off, I give myself a little pep talk... remind myself why I'm doing this. Of course, unlike you guys, I'm not so much "making it a lifestyle choice" by doing this, as much as just ... racing towards the finish. It may not be the best advise to give.

I think you are doing just fine love. It's not easy to do this... and if it was, people would all be skinny and eating healthy!

Kyrstin said...

This is NoSalt: http://www.amazon.com/No-Salt-Regular-11-OZ/dp/B000PEFNF8

Thanks for the great ideas guys! And I totally forgot about the track, Lele! I can definitely go walking at the track! Also, once the gravel roads quit being all mushy and yucky... I can use those too. They have inclines built in! :-)

I am also some-what racing to the finish (at least for my first goal). I don't know if I'll make it... but I really am feeling better. Will even noticed! He said "What's happening to my Kitty? She's shrinking!" That made me feel good! :-)