Friday, February 12, 2010

Eating on the Go...

As I have taken this semester off of school, I am working 30 hours a week. I know, I know, that's not a lot but it's more than I am usually used to. So, I am trying to eat healthier on the go. I work in the deli of a grocery store so every day there are many fried and fatty options to eat. In order to resist this temptation, I have started to buy some of my favorite fruits. I like grapes and strawberries the best and they are very easy to pack for my break on work.

In addition to this, I have started to buy "diet" frozen, pre-packaged meals ("tv dinners"). I found a brand of meals that is cheaper at a discount food store called Aldi's. The brand is "Fit & Active" and my favorite meal is the Three Cheese Ziti.

With only 280 calories per container with 8 g of fat, 4.5 g from saturated fat, and 0 g from trans fat. 50 mg of cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, and 37 g of carbohydrates with 2 g of dietary fiber, 4 g of sugar, and 12 g of protein. 15% of your daily vitamin A, 10% vitamin C, 20% calcium, and 15% iron round out the nutritional information.

So, I have found ways to have a "healthy" (or at least low calorie lunch) at work. A 280 calorie dinner, a 3/4 cup serving of strawberries for about 75 calories, a 60 calorie sugar-free Jello-O pudding, and a diet rootbeer is a 415 calorie meal at work. (Or around 400 calories if grapes were subsituted.) Healthy, filling, and very satisfying! :-)

P.S. I had a nice picture of my tv dinner, but it isn't loading... I'll add it later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep 'em coming! i desparately need ideas for fast meals, or things on the go. not necessarily that i eat on the go, but that i usually have time for a short lunch only.

bonus: they're FINALLY building aldi's in my area! i'm so excited.

Kyrstin said...

Aldi's is awesome! They have a great selection of other "Fit & Active" products such as yogurt, salad dressing, etc... :-) I can't give away ALL my blog post ideas! LOL

Tamara said...

Ugh - I was the worst when it came to eating fast food. Seriously, when I looked at my budget, that's where most of it went!

I feel much better to feel "fast-food-free" now but I sure do miss the convenience of a drive thru!