Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My challenge

My diet this week was ruined by Valentine’s Day. Candy giving holidays and diets just do not go hand in hand. Not to mention the fact that one of the holiday things we do with my son is bake cookies and cupcakes. So I have had a setback, I was down 4 lbs in January, and now I am back up 2 lbs. This gives me a total weight loss of 2 lbs since the beginning of the year, not really much to write home about huh.

I think all of the contributors on this blog each face unique challenges, not only are we in different places about how much we need to lose, but we all have different restrictions and hurdles to overcome. Here is one of the issues I am, and will, face with attempting to lose weight, and that is the fact that I am currently breastfeeding my 3 month old. (here is a shameless plug to get attention for my incredibly cute muffin)
From new mini
They – by which I mean some Doctors and common wisdom-, say that breastfeeding will help the weight fall right off. What “they” don’t tell you is that breast milk requires a larger amount of fat and protein to produce so some people DON’T lose those extra lbs, the body starts storing that fat for milk production. Current recommendations suggest you don’t try and lose more than 1 lb a week or it could affect your supply. Also that you exercise in moderation, because burning too much fat too fast could also affect supply. So here I am stuck in Limbo land. The lbs aren’t melting off, and how do you find that balance between losing too much and not enough?

So I am going to set a few goals this week

- Drink more water- this is a standard goal for me every week and I never manage to follow though.

- Work out, 20-30 minutes per day. We are still sold out of the Wii active in my area, but tomorrow should have them back in stock provided I can call early enough. I don’t know why I have it stuck in my head that this will be the way I can actually work out. I also bought a Mama and baby yoga DVD today at Target.

- - I am going to take “before” (and eventually “after” I hope!) pics and measurements. Depending on how self conscious I feel they may or may not make it into next week’s blog post. I think posting a before pic will be motivation to get rid of the fluff.

One of the things that has helped me to eat a little healthier at least is Meal planning. We all know that meal planning can help your budget, but I think it can also cut down on impulse eating. Have several meals planned out, the groceries ready to go in the fridge. You aren’t as likely to order a pizza or grab fast food on the way home if you have something waiting at home to be made. It also helps me buy those veggies if I have a plan for what to do with them rather than plunk them in the fridge and hope they get eaten. At least once per week I am going to do a vegetarian meal, this week a stir fry with brown rice. If it works out I’ll try and post the recipe.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your goals. reasonable ones! i so hope you are able to get your Wii this week. i really can't tell you how helpful it's been in getting my butt off the couch. it's much easier than going to a gym, or even taking a walk around the block.

hmmm... before and after pics. you're right. great motivation. i'm not sure if i'm too self-conscious to do that. but you're right, if everyone can see my before pic, it's great motivation to look better at some point. I'll think about it, too.

meal planning! love it! i've recently started doing that more. it helps. often i'll just keep a bunch of anythings in the fridge, then pick up a chicken on the way home or something. i'm still needing to make your roast chicken with cauliflower. tonight's stephanie's taco soup :-)

Anonymous said...

ps love the pic of the kiddo. we can't shame you for not losing any weight when you're responsible for feeding him! say it with me now... "aahhhhh.... oohhhhh..."

LeLe said...

What a cutie pie! I am going to face the same breastfeeding dilemma soon, so I hear ya. I have currently gained 30 pounds in my pregnancy, which is not cool considering I'm 5'3. I have a long road ahead of me...and I was bad with the V-Day candy too. And Girl Scout cookies just came in today.

Anonymous said...

*sigh*
girl scout cookies...
mine come in the next week or two. i'm pretty sure i'll not be making a goal to not eat sweets that week. course, if i can have them last for at least two months, i'll be doing good!

Hannah said...

Don't feel bad, I gained 40 the first time, lost 20, then gained another 30 this last pregnancy and have only lost 10. It's a work in progress.

I didn't order any cookies this year but those Girl Scouts set up camp outside the Walmart which is pretty much the only grocery store in town. Did I mention I live in WM central? Anyway. They have been taunting me.

LeLe said...

Yeah, I have to buy my groceries at the Walmart too. Ugh. We have a grocery store but their prices are so high, I just go to Walmart unless I just need a few things.

Tamara said...

HOKAY - Breastfeeding = completely mental block for me. My body still wasn't "mine" you know? I couldn't change my eating habits, or focus on anything that was about me while I was providing sustenance to the boy. (For the record, I gained 60 lbs with Ky and lost about 30 of it so far.....)

Can't wait to hear how you like the wii. For me, it really did the trick with getting me in gear. And it pushes me daily.

Love that little babu. Now I'm considering ways to have Ky model breakfast cereals, and smoothie ingredients... babies....