Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Full disclosure

Disclaimer: I do not expect anyone else on the blog to disclose any of this information.

Anytime you start a weight-loss/diet/exercise routine you have to know where you stand in the beginning and have some way(s) to measure progress.

A scale is one. It also happens to be the most common and probably the easiest way to gauge your progress. In combination with weight you can also calculate the BMI, my current weight is 150 and BMI is 26. The BMI is just one point above the overweight line. In theory I only have 5 lbs to lose before my BMI would fall into the "normal" zone. I am aware that this is not bad, mostly vanity weight to lose once I get to that point, but this is not the weight I am comfortable at. I am a small person, small frame I guess. 150 lbs on me looks like more than it is. For example, my waist measurement is larger than my husband's and I am just not cool with that.

Another way to check your progress it to take body measurements. You won't lose fat from all of the places on your body at an equal rate, so you may be making progress even though you still don't fit into your "skinny jeans." As many women know, belly and butt is the hardest to lose. I included a description of how I did these measurements and the measurement in inches after it. I rounded to the nearest 1/2 inch. Oh and NO squishing, don't pull the measuring tape tight.

1. Bust: measure all the way around your bust and back right at your nipple line, and make sure the tape measure is not lower.
41

2. Chest: Measure under your breasts but as high up as you can go, keeping the tape measure parallel. This is probably also your bra band size.
33

3. Waist: Measure wherever it is the smallest/the navel
34

4. Hips: Measure at the very biggest part -- even if that is so low that you are almost on the top of your thighs.
38

5. Midway: Measure midway between the very biggest part of your hips and your waist.
40.5

6. Thighs: Measure wherever they are the biggest.
24

7. Knees: Measure right above the knee.
16.5

8. Calves: Measure wherever they are the biggest.
14

9. Upper arm: Measure wherever they are biggest above your elbows.
11

10. Forearms: Measure wherever they are biggest below your elbows.
8.5

The 3rd way to track your progress is with photographic evidence. It is easier to see the loss if you compare month to month wearing tight fitting clothing and preferably the same clothing each time. One site recommended taking the photos in a bathing suit, but none of mine fit.

After telling myself to stand up straight(er)...




The final(and ultimately true)test is how your clothes fit and how you feel. After all, this is why we try and lose the weight. To not only become healthier, but to look and feel better about ourselves.

On Erin's recommendation, I downloaded the LoseIt iPhone app this weekend. It's really very well done and quite handy. I was a little bit horrified at how many calories some of the things I eat have, and at other times pleasantly surprised.

Because I always want to include some kind of recipe or food tip when I blog, I have to tell you about my new favorite breakfast. Nonfat plain yogurt, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of brown sugar (less than 1tbs each just enough to take the edge off the yogurt which can be a little sour) = 300 calorie breakfast with 15 grams of protein. It is surprisingly satisfying and the protein helps give you a better start on the day than a bunch of carbs. Not to mention this meal is about 75 cents. Cheap and healthy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm honestly a little terrified of the numbers, so I'm scared to measure myself :-(
BUT... I have seriously thought about the picture. Thing is, I'd have to have someone else take the pic, and I'd have to actually see myself in tight-fitting clothes. One step at a time.

Thank you for your honesty!

Tamara said...

Ah, Hannah, you are so much smaller than I am! I love that you are so brave. I am allowing your braveness to make me feel brave as well, and I suppose it is time to measure....

mmmmmm walnuts are my FAV nut. That breakfast sounds dee-lish!

LeLe said...

Needless to say, I will not be measuring myself until this child comes outta me. Haha!

Hannah said...

Yeah apparently I am having technical issues since my photos were supposed to post as well, I'll go back and add them tonight.

Hannah said...

Erin, I did a lovely bathroom mirror thing... please ignore the grimy bathroom, I am not scheduled to clean the bathroom until Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Good pics-- you're right, I could just do them in a full-length mirror...

LeLe said...

My only full-length mirror at home is warped and looks like one of those in a fun house. Seriously. Aw, I think you're cute, Hannah.