Friday, February 19, 2010

Food for Friday

I am going to post two recipes today: chicken salad pitas and salmon loaf.

Dislaimer: I have only tried the chicken salad. I just want to post the salmon loaf because it looks tasty and easy, and because several people asked me to post it when I mentioned I read it in my pregnancy magazine.

Chicken Salad Pitas

Here's the original recipe but I made a few modifications.

Owly Images

  • Rather than 2 small cans, I used 2 large cans. It ended up being about 2 cups of chicken.
  • I used more celery than was called for, chopping up 2 ribs which made about 1 full cup of chopped celery.
  • Instead of chopping up the lettuce, I just pulled off leaves and placed on top of the chicken and cheese.
  • I did not use pitas but I found these really great thin multi-grain buns (these would work for hamburgers and deli sandwiches as well).


The celery really gives this chicken a good crunch. If you don't like celery, you can probably substitute dill relish instead.

This made quite a bit. MK and I both had one sandwich for dinner and I had one for leftovers the next day. We still have some in the fridge.



Salmon Loaf

Healthy Additions: Shredded Carrots and Zucchini
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
Serves: 4

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 1 15-ounce canned salmon, drained
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 3/4 cup 1% milk (we always buy skim, so that's what I'll use)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped (I'll probably omit this because I hate onions or I might just use the dried chopped onions you can buy in the spice aisle)
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • Ground black pepper to taste
  • Salsa (optional)
>Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Using a box grater or mandoline, shred carrots and zucchini and set aside. In a large bowl, flake salmon. Add bread crumbs, milk, egg, onion, carrots, zucchini, curry powder, lemon juice and pepper to the salmon and mix very well until moist. (Add more milk, if necessary.)

>Form salmon mixture into load shape and place in pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until load is set in the center. (It will feel firm to the touch.) Slice and serve topped with salsa, if desired.

>Per serving: 300 calories, 37% protein (27 g), 41% carbohydrate (31 g), 23% fat (7.5 g), 379 mg calcium, 13 mg vitamin C, 3 mg iron, 65 mcg folate, 4 g fiber.


I really need to buy a loaf pan. :)

[Salmon photo and recipe from February/March 2010 issue of Fit Pregnancy.]

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Mmmm.. Both of those look great. I. Cannot. Wait.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the salmon loaf recipe. i might get to make it this weekend!

Stephanie said...

That chicken salad looks yum nummy! So does the salmon loaf, but with the seafood allergy! Boo! I will be trying out that chicken salad asap!