Thursday, February 18, 2010

Heart Healthy Foods

On Sunday, my dad had a minor heart attack. On Monday, he had a stint put in. On Tuesday, he came home under strict orders to start a new diet, take some new medications and an aspirin regimen, and start exercising within the near future (his doctor will clear him).

So, I started doing some reading on heart health and heart healthy foods! I found that a LOT of my favorite foods are located on a list of foods that help promote good cardiovascular health... I only need to incorporate them more often! So, adding this foods into my diet will be one of my goals for this next week!

Obviously, one of the first things to do in a heart-healthy diet is to reduce the amount of sodium intake. Look for low-sodium or no-salt added options. For example, choose no-salt added canned mushrooms or low-sodium cream of mushroom soup for recipes. (Can you tell I have mushrooms on the brain?) It is important to reduce sodium intake because sodium can contribute to high-blood pressure, which is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.

Also, reduce the amount of trans- and saturated fats and cholesterol. The Mayo Clinic offers a "this not that"style lists to help you choose appropriate fats when cooking. I'll highlight them for you here and include the link to the article at the bottom of this post.

According to the Mayo Clinic, avoid butter, lard, bacon, gravy, cream sauce, non-dairy creamer, hydrogenated margarine and shortening, cocoa butter (found in chocolate), along with coconut, palm seed, cotton seed, and palm-kernel oils should all be avoided. Instead, use canola or olive oil, margarine labeled "trans-fat free" or cholesterol-lowering margarines such as Promise or Smart Balance (which is really good by the way!).

Also, increase your intake of fruits and vegetables but avoid coconut, vegetables with creamy sauces, fried or breaded vegetables, and canned fruits that are packed in heavy syrup (the ones packed in juice or water are still ok!). Choose fresh fruits and vegetables and canned vegetables labeled "low sodium" (or are low in sodium per reading the label).

There is also a whole list of protein to be avoided (all the *good* stuff: bacon, spareribs, cold cuts) and the proteins to increase in your diet. Rather than bore you with a few more lists, here is the link. ;-)

However, I do have one more list for you I got from MedicineNet.com (how's that for a legit-sounding name... they have "net" and "com" in their name!) These are the "best of the best" heart healthy foods. I will be starring the ones that I will be trying in the future and making bold the ones I like to eat and will be increasing in my own diet!
  1. Salmon
  2. *Flaxseed (ground)
  3. Oatmeal
  4. Black or kidney beans
  5. Almonds
  6. Walnuts
  7. Red wine
  8. Tuna
  9. Tofu
  10. Brown rice
  11. *Soy milk
  12. Blueberries
  13. Carrots
  14. Spinach
  15. Broccoli
  16. Sweet potatos
  17. Red bell peppers
  18. Asparagus
  19. Oranges
  20. Tomatos
  21. Acorn squash
  22. Cantaloupe
  23. *Papaya
  24. Dark chocolate (70% or higher cocoa content)
  25. *Tea
So, I already like 12 things (that's almost half!) of the list! I just need to start eating them more often... I think I'll start with the chocolate... ;-)

5 comments:

LeLe said...

It's a good thing you love salmon, huh? I will probably post a salmon loaf recipe tomorrow that you should try. I need to buy a loaf pan and make it myself but it sounds so good and has some shredded veggies inside it.

Tamara said...

Oooh, I'm so glad your Dad is on the mend, and on to a better lifestyle! My Dad had a heart attack on my birthday in 2004, and he too started this diet with exercise. Here's to having our healthy Dads around for a long long time!

Oh and BTW? Chocolate is good for me? Oh this one is DEFINITELY going on a sticky on the fridge....

Anonymous said...

I love this post! (the flow, and the content!)

plus, thanks so much for giving that list of good foods to eat. I, too, like a lot on there-- it's just buying them instead of the "easy" things to buy and cook.

so glad your dad is doing better :-)

Kyrstin said...

I think I might want your salmon loaf recipe, Lele.

Tamara- The dark chocololate (70% or more cocoa is "good" for you!)

Erin- Thanks for the compliment on my writing! :-)

Hannah said...

There's some good food on that list! Thanks for the info.