Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wednesday - Taco Soup Dinner


Yesterday, Erin asked for recipe ideas for the week. So, I shared with her my favorite Weight Watchers recipe, Taco Soup. After discussing it with her, I had to make it. So, I went to the store and bought the ingredients. This is a 1 pot meal. You gotta love that! So the recipe is as follows:

1lb lean hamburger (you can also substitute ground turkey or chicken)
1 small onion, diced (this can be omitted if you wish)
1/4c green bell pepper, diced (this can be omitted if you wish)
1 16oz can black beans, drained
1 16oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1 16oz can of kidney beans - do not drain
1 16oz can of diced tomatoes - do not drain
1 can of Mild RoTel tomatoes (or any heat level you prefer) - do not drain
1 package if Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing powder
1 package of Taco Bell Taco seasoning (or any brand you prefer)
1 to 1.5c of water
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large pot, add a tsp of oil, bell pepper, onion and saute to onions are just about clear. Add in your ground meat, salt and pepper, and brown. Drain meat, peppers, & onion. Put meat mixture back into pot and add beans, tomatoes, and corn. Mix well. Mix ranch dressing & seasoning packs to water and pour into pot. Mix well. Start with 1 cup of water. If the soup is too thick, add 1/2 cup more of water. Be careful not to add too much water, as the soup will lose it's taco flavor. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

1 cup of the soup has 211 calories, 4 grams of fat, 30.8 grams of carbs, and 6.6 grams of fiber. 1 cup of this soup is 2 points on the Weight Watchers program. I always add a bit of cheese and sour cream to mine. This does affect the calories, but just factor them in with the soup. This soup does well in a crock pot too. Its a soup that is so satisfying. I don't even feel guilty about eating it!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you included the nutrition information with this. Thanks so much for sharing!

Tamara said...

OMG - this looks so good... and 211 calories. It's practically too good to be true.

I'm making it.

Kyrstin said...

I am forwarding this recipe to my Mom and we're gonna make it for dinner... so tasty looking! Mmmmmmmm!

Stephanie said...

By the way, this soup freezes wonderfully. However, it is the best the next day!

Hannah said...

Catching up on commenting. This looks amazing except, I don't like ranch (I know I'm a little crazy)Could I do some extra chile seasoning to bump up the flavor that way?